Full-time, London or UK/NL-remote
Date posted: 22 Oct 2020
Closing date: Open until filled
Do you love data visualization, interactive content and modern web technologies? Do you want to join one of the UK’s most exciting tech start-ups and be part of a talented and friendly team?
Flourish is an online tool for creating beautiful data graphics, presentations and other interactive content without coding. We have a partnership with Google to support data journalists all over the world, and we also work with many of the world’s largest corporates, including EY, Goldman Sachs and Moody’s. The tool generates millions of views every day.
We’re looking for a visualization developer to join our team, reporting to the Head of Product. You’ll be focused on our library of visualization “templates”, which sits at the heart of the Flourish system powering thousands of beautiful interactive graphics every day.
In addition you’ll contribute to our library of components, which provide popups, legends, axes and other functionality across different templates.
A typical day might include:
- Adding new features and fixing bugs in existing templates
- Creating new templates and components
- Keeping templates up to date with the latest components
- Testing templates and deploying them to the live environment
You’ll also work closely with our customer team to help identify and fix problems that our customers are facing. We’re proud of the fast feedback loop we maintain on solving issues for our users.
Even though this role is focused on visualization templates rather than the editor platform, there should be opportunities to contribute to that too.
Since you’ll be working on templates, not one-off visuals, you’ll have the discipline to solve problems properly, an instinct for user-friendly interfaces and an imagination for the countless ways users might make use of what you’re building.
- You can demonstrate confident use of vanilla JS and D3.js
- You know how to push, pull, rebase and merge in Git
- You write code that is clean and human readable
- You enjoy working collaboratively and love to learn new things
- You’re excited by Flourish and the opportunity to make it better
- You’re happy to adopt existing conventions of the code base
- You’re fluent in spoken and written English
Flourish is a small team combining decades of collective experience in development, data, design, visualization and journalism/publishing. Read more about the team. As a small team of developers, designers, product experts and sales people, we work closely together to make sure we deliver the best tool and help our customers do their job in the best way.
Our culture: We’re a friendly and supportive group that values kindness, honesty and fun. We’re open and try new things with enthusiasm. And we’re high-momentum, focused on delivering magical products that our users love. We socialise as a team at least once a month.
Our tech stack: Some key technologies used in templates and components are vanilla JS, D3, Less, rollup, Cypress, GitHub, Regl, Mapbox.js and Handlebars. We don’t expect you to have worked with all of these, but any you have are a plus.
Our interview process: We designed our interview process to be rigorous, but friendly and collaborative. Depending on the number and nature of the applications, the process may involve a short online coding test and some pairing with us, to get a sense for how you communicate. We don’t do stressful whiteboard coding.
Our approach: We’re committed to equality and diversity in the tech industry, so we’ll be especially happy to see applications from under-represented backgrounds.
- Salary from £40k to £55k depending on skill and experience
- Remote working is welcome (the majority of our development team is remote), though after lockdown lifts, we’d want you to be in London at least every few weeks for our sprint planning and retros
- ‘Free Friday’ for developers - you can choose what to work on, as long as it’s relevant to the company’s mission
- Potential for share options in a rapidly growing company
- 30 days’ annual holiday
- Flexible hours and respect for work/life balance (not “startup hours”)
- Support from others in the team to get you up to speed and help you out
- Pairing and “mob programming” (where we tackle problems with multiple developers)
- Regular team activities and socials (currently virtual!)
- Budget and days off for relevant conference and workshops
- Annual team retreat
- Company pension
To apply, send us:
- A brief covering letter explaining why you’re interested in this role and how you meet the criteria
- A portfolio or links to at least three projects that demonstrate the required skills
Send these to email@example.com. Please use the subject “Visualization developer”. Got questions about the job? Feel free to drop us a line.
Sorry, but we won’t be able to sponsor visas for this role: please do not apply if you do not already have the right to work in the UK or The Netherlands. We are not accepting applications from recruitment agencies for this role.
Please spread the word instead! And join our mailing list to stay posted about Flourish.